Sunday, April 6, 2008

After Conference Blog

Wow, just got back from the National Art EducationAssociation Convention in New Orleans, where I was the delegate from the state of Alaska to the Delegate Assembly. We worked on policy statements for the national organization. I worked in the Curriculum group. This was a fascinating discussion of what art education curriculm should contain in all grade levels from K-College. It was very general of course, we had to narrow it down to three main statements. The interesing thing to me was discussing with college art teachers what they expect our students to be able to know and do at that level and with middle school teachers what my expectations as a high school art teacher are for their students when they come to me. I would like to have this discussion with art teachers in our district and at UAF.
Another wonderful aspect of the conference is the workshops/lectures and the new knowledge I came back with. One presentation in particualr by Craig Roland, author of The Art Teacher's Guide to the Internet, was terrific. I was introduced to his interactive website-Art Education 2.0 and have become a member. I haven't posted any blogs yet, but have been eagerly reading posts such as the ones recently on Creativity and how to teach and grade it at the high school level. The site is also linked to many other great sources of intformation on Web 2.0 use. A gold mine!

No comments: